- Written by Super User
- Hits: 92
The significant collections of historical events of CA from 1907 to date.
March 16, 2017 - The BS Agriculture Program of the College of Agriculture received the ASEAN University Network Quality Assurance approval.
January 30, 2017 – the National Corn-based Farmer-Scientists RDE Training Program (FSTP) was awarded the Gawad Pangulo for Excellence in Public Service.
January 24, 2017 – The Institute of Plant Breeding (IPB) of the College of Agriculture and Food Science (CAFS) presented an improved corn variety “Mais PAEP” or Mais na Pinagbuti Alay sa Ekonomiyang Pangkanayunan.
December 16, 2016 – The 1323rd meeting of the UP Board of Regents approved the proposed changes of renaming the College of Agriculture as the College of Agriculture and Food Science (CAFS) and realignment of CA Units to their respective relevant agribusiness subsectors in agriculture.
December 7, 2016 – The Professional Regulation Commission and Professional Regulatory Board of Agriculture awarded the University of the Philippines Lo Baños for being the Top Performing School in Agriculture.
July 13, 2016 - CA Received the Outstanding Professional Chair Manager Award from Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP).
November 23, 2015 - The UPLB CA was again recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) as Center of Excellence (COE) in Agriculture Education.
2007 - The UPLB CA was recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) as Center of Excellence (COE) in Agriculture Education.
December 14, 2006 - the CA AgriPark is launched as a one-stop shop for agricultural products, technologies, publications and technical services in agriculture.
May 2, 2006 - From the Department of Agronomy, Department of Horticulture, part of the Postharvest Horticulture Training and Research Center, and the Institute of Plant Breeding, the Crop Science Cluster was established with Dr. Jose E. Hernandez as its first director.
June 1, 2005 - From the Department of Entomology, Department of Plant Pathology and the National Crop Protection Center, the Crop Protection Cluster was established with Dr. Virginia R. Ocampo as its first director.
October 1, 2004 - From the Institute of Animal Science, and the Dairy Training and Research Institute, the Animal and Dairy Sciences Cluster was established with Dr. Nimfa P. Roxas as its first director.
May 2003 - The UP Rural High School was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences.
December 1, 2003 - From the Institute of Food Science and Technology, and the Postharvest Horticulture Training and Research Center, the Food Science Cluster was established with Dr. Reynaldo C. Mabesa as its first director.
June 1, 2002 - From the Department of Agricultural Education and Rural Studies, Department of Soil Science, and the Farming Systems and Soil Resources Research Institute, the Agricultural Systems Cluster was established with Dr. Eduardo P. Paningbatan, Jr. as the first director
January 30, 2003 - The UP Board of Regeants during its 1167th meeting approved the reorganization of the College of Agriculture into five functional clusters, namely: Agricultural Systems Cluster (ASC), Crop Science Cluster (CSC), Crop Protection Cluster (CPC), Animal and Dairy Sciences Cluster (ADSC), and Food Science Cluster (FSC).
1998 - The Philippine Agriculturist was renamed the Philippine Agricultural Scientist (PAS) in 1998 to reflect the change in focus in the last decade, from technologies to technological studies and laboratory experiments.
1984 - From the Department of Agricultural Education, the Department of Agricultural Education and Rural Studies (DAERS) was established with Dr. Leonardo A. Chua as the first chair.
1982 - The Institute of Food Science & Technology (IFST), Institute of Animal Science (IAS) and the Farming Systems and Soil Resources Research Institute (FSSRI) were established on October 16, 1982 by virtue of Executive Order No. 840, as part of the National Agriculture and Life Science Research Complex.
1979 - The College of Agriculture was conferred the Ramon Magsaysay Award for International Understanding on August 31, 1977.
1977 - Established during the 9th Ministerial Meeting of the member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in Manila on June 24-26, 1976, the Postharvest Horticulture Training and Research Center (PHTRC) was formally presented to UPLB on October 27, 1977 by the Australian government through the ASEAN- Australia Economic Cooperation Program.
1976 - The National Crop Protection Center (NCPC) was established on May 21, 1976 by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 936 with Dr. Fernando F. Sanchez as its first director.
1975 - On June 5, 1975, Presidential Decree 729 established the Institute of Plant Breeding (IPB) with Dr. Emil Q. Javier as its founding director.
1974 - The Department of Horticulture which started as a mere division under the Department of Agronomy, was created on March 28, 1974 upon the decision of the UP Board of Regeants, with Dr. Eduardo C. Quisumbing as its first chairman.
December 21, 1972 - The UPLB Graduate School became a separate unit from the College of Agriculture.
November 20, 1972 - Presidential Decree No. 58, elevated the UP units at Los Baños to university status giving the University of the Philippines at Los Baños (UPLB) greater autonomy in academic, administrative and fiscal matters. The UPCA became the core of UPLB, together with the College of Forestry, Graduate School, Agricultural Credit & Cooperative Institute, Agrarian Reform Institute (ARI) and the Dairy Training and Research Institute.
July 1, 1972 - Formerly a division under the Department of Chemistry, the Department of Food Science & Technology (DFST) was officially created upon the decision of the UP Board of Regeants with Dr. Ricardo R. del Rosario as its first chairman.
June 29, 1972 - The Department of Soil Science was approved by the Board of Regents in its 821st meeting to replace the Department of Soils.
March 1, 1972 - The La Granja Research and Training Station (LGRTS) at La Granja, La Carlota City, Negros Occidental was formally opened in line with Republic Act 2415 that was passed on June 21, 1959 establishing a branch of the College of Agriculture in the said province. The station is maintained for research, training and extension in the production, processing, utilization and marketing of sugarcane and selected crops and livestock.
1966 - The UP College of Agriculture was selected as the host institution of the Southeast Asia Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), with Dean Dioscoro L. Umali as its first Director.
November 1, 1962 - The Dairy Training Research Institute (DTRI), organized through a Memorandum of Agreement in April 1961 between the UPLB and the Department of Agricultural and Natural Resources, became operational with Dr. Gonzalo V. Garcia as its first Director.
June 2, 1959 - The Agricultural Credit and Cooperative Institute (ACCI) opened under the extension program of the Department of Agricultural Economics.
1951 - The Department of Home Technology was established.
October 26, 1950 - The UP Board of Regents established the Graduate School headed by the Dean of the College of Agriculture.
1937 - The Department od Plant Physiology was renamed Department of Agricultural Botany.
1930 - A former division of the department of agronomy, the Department of Soils was established with Dr. Robert I. Pendleton as its first chairman.
1929 - The University of the Philippines Rural High School was established under the Department of Agricultural Education to serve as training laboratory for observation and practice of teaching students enrolled in the teacher training program and an experiment school for secondary education in agriculture. Dr. Merle A. Foster was its first department chairman and high school principal.
1928 - As the need for teachers became apparent and by virtue of the Philippine Legislature Act 3377 known as the National Vocational Education Act No. 1927, the Department of Agricultural Education was established in March 1928 by the Board of Regents of the University of the Philippines.
1925 - The Department of Plant Physiology was established with Dr. Gerardo O. Ocfemia as its first chairman. Dr. Ocfemia would later be recognized as the "Father of Plant Pathology" in the Philippines; The Green and Gold Magazine, its colors symbolic of the "green of life and spring, and the gold harvest and fulfillment", supplemented the Philippine Agriculturist, presenting digests of foreign agricultural works and the results of students' theses.
1923 - Although Professor Sam B. Durham already offered a single course in Animal Husbandry to a few pioneering students of the UPCA, it was only in 1923 when the Department of Animal Husbandry was established with Dr. Bienvenido M. Gonzales as its first head.
October 10, 1921 - Loyalty Day was first celebrated at the Botany Building (now the Biological Science Building). On January 22, 1922, the UP Board of Regents approved a resolution from the student body to make Loyalty Day an annual celebration in the College of Agriculture.
1919 - The Division of Rural Economics (later to become the Department of Agricultural Economics) was established with Mr. Evett B. Hester as its first chairman.
1918 - The Philippine Agriculturist and Forester was renamed Philippine Agriculturist; The Agricultural Experiment Station (later renamed as Central Experiment Station) was fully established on February 15, 1918 by virtue of Act. No. 2730 of the Philippine Legislature. This enabled the College to acquire a large tract of land aggregating about 260 hectares for the development of its experimental works.
1917 - The Department of Plant Pathology was established with Professor Otto A. Reinking as its first head; The Department of Botany was renamed Department of Plant Physiology.
1913 - Graduate studies started under the College of Agriculture.
1912 - The Department of Agricultural Engineering was organized with Professor Albert G. Glodt as its first chairman.
1911 - The journal, Philippine Agriculturist and Forester, was founded and published monthly by the student body of the College of Agriculture, with Mr. Manuel L. Roxas was its first editor.
1910 - The first building of the College called the "temporary building" was inaugurated in the late 1910. As other buildings rose on the campus, it became known as the old "College building"; The Department of Agronomy was established with Dean E.B. Copeland as its first chairman; The Department of Agricultural Chemistry was established with Dr. Horace G. Deming as its first chairman.
June 14, 1909 - The College of Agriculture of the University of the Philippines opened its doors enrolling the first 12 students. The UP College of Agriculture was the third college to be organized, the first being the College of Medicine and the second the College of Law in 1908 located in Manila.
March 6, 1909 - The University of the Philippines' Board of Regeants, in its first meeting presided by Hon. W. Gilbert, Secretary of Public Instruction, unanimously approved the immediate establishment of college of agriculture. March 6 was thus proclaimed the Foundation Day of the College of Agriculture.
June 18, 1908 - Act No. 1170 creating the University of the Philippines (UP) was passed.
1907 - Dr. Edwin B. Copeland of the Philippine Normal School was assigned by the Acting Director of the Philippine Bureau of Agricultural Education to select a site for an agricultural school; and recommended Los Baños at the foot of Mt. Makiling in Laguna.